It’s easy to lose track of time as the years pass by, and sometimes looking in the mirror and seeing that your smile has aged can be a startling surprise. But your situation isn’t hopeless; luckily, cosmetic dentistry can offer many solutions that are sure to enhance the look and feel of your smile and instill you with newfound confidence. Keep reading to learn more about why our smiles age throughout the years and how cosmetic dentistry can assist in turning back the clock.
Why Do Our Smiles Age Throughout the Years?
Nearly all facets of life affect your oral health; what you eat, how much you sleep, how much you exercise, and especially your age. While lifestyle habits play a large role in the appearance and health of your smile, your enamel will also naturally wear over time and cause your teeth to appear stained and become more fragile. Additionally, poor oral habits such as neglecting to brush and floss, smoking or using tobacco, physical trauma, skipping dental checkups, and more can all contribute to oral health concerns that make your smile appear aged.
How Cosmetic Dentistry Can Help
Fortunately, your cosmetic dentist can help! There are many available treatment options that can restore your smile to a more youthful-looking state, including:
- Porcelain veneers – These porcelain shells are applied to the outer surfaces of your teeth and completely change their appearance; the results are impressive.
- Metal-free dental crowns – Decayed or damaged teeth are easily addressed with a metal-free dental crown; they’re basically protective coats of armor for your teeth!
- Cosmetic dental bonding – Your dentist will bond composite resin to your teeth to fix minor flaws and restore them to a pristine and natural-looking state.
- Teeth whitening – Your dentist can whiten your teeth in their office or send you home with a kit containing professional-grade equipment for you to do it yourself.
Other Tips to Help You Look and Feel Your Best
In addition to visiting your cosmetic dentist, you can also implement these healthful tips into your life to truly enjoy a smile that looks and feels young again:
- Eat a healthy, vitamin-rich diet.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary, carbonated beverages.
- Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing daily.
- Visit your dentist for biannual checkups and cleanings.
- Live a stress-free life and enjoy relaxing activities such as meditation, yoga, and deep breathing exercises.
- Avoid unhealthy habits, especially smoking and using tobacco products.
Looking and feeling your best is important as you grow older, and your mouth plays a large part in that! Consider the benefits of cosmetic dentistry and leading a healthy life; your smile will definitely thank you for helping it to look and feel young again.
About the Author
American Dental Care proudly serves patients and families in Conway under the leadership of Dr. Tommy Murph. Dr. Murph received his dental doctorate from the Medical University of South Carolina. He is also a member of the American Dental Association and the South Carolina Dental Association. If you have any questions about cosmetic dentistry or would like to schedule a visit, feel free to contact Dr. Murph through his practice’s website or by phone: (843) 488-4357.